The Tuite Family Home-icon.png


19th Century


Hugh Morgan Tuite was born in 1795 and died in 1868.





TUITE, Hugh Morgan (1795-1868), of Sonna, co. Westmeath.

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1820-1832, ed. D.R. Fisher, 2009
Available from
 Cambridge University Press




1826 - 1830

1841 - 1847

Family and Education

b. 1795, 2nd but 1st surv. s. of Capt. Hugh Tuite of Sonna and Sarah Elizabeth, da. of Lt.-Col. Daniel Chenevix of Ballycommon, King’s Co. educ. Christ Church, Oxf. 1814. m. (1) 6 Feb. 1826, Mary (d. 14 Mar. 1863), da. of Maurice O’Connor of Mount Pleasant, King’s Co., 1s. 1da.; (2) 8 Oct. 1863, Hester Maria, da. of John Hogan of Auburn, co. Westmeath, s.p. suc. fa. 1843. d. 15 Aug. 1868.

Offices Held

Sheriff, co. Westmeath 1822-3, co. Longford 1837-8.


Tuite, ‘the son of a gentleman of about £5,000 per annum’, was a permanent resident of Westmeath, where the local press commended his family for giving ‘perpetual employment to a number of our poor’ and spending ‘a splendid fortune’.1Following the death of one of the county’s sitting Members in 1824 he made a ‘limited canvass’ as a supporter of Catholic claims, but on finding ‘the strong interests combined’ against him quit the field, hinting that he intended to stand at the next general election.2 In 1826 he duly offered as a pro-Catholic in opposition to the dominant Protestant interests, stressing his independence from ‘any particular line of politics’, his belief that emancipation would restore ‘peace and good order’ and his wish to deliver the county ‘from the degradation of being considered a sort of family property, or hereditary borough’. He was actively assisted by the Catholic Association and after a ‘severe struggle’ returned in second place, amidst accusations of widespread electoral misconduct by his supporters.3

He informed the Commons, 14 Feb., that he would not defend his return against his beaten rival’s petition, but his associates successfully petitioned to be admitted as parties for his defence, 8 Mar. 1827. He was absent from the division on Catholic claims, 6 Mar., as he ‘could not vote, not having defended his election’.4 A commission of inquiry into his return was established, 3 May 1827, but it disintegrated the following year, whereupon a committee was appointed, 18 Apr., and decided in his favour, 28 Apr. 1828.5 In his first reported action in the House Tuite, who is not known to have spoken in debate in this period, voted for Catholic relief, 12 May 1828. He divided against restricting the circulation of Irish and Scottish small notes, 5 June 1828. He was a convenor for the meeting of the ‘friends of civil and religious liberty’ at the Rotunda, Dublin, 20 Jan., and of course voted for the Wellington ministry’s concession of emancipation, 6 Mar. 1829.6 He was granted three weeks’ leave on account of ill health, 12 Mar. 1830. He was in the minorities for O’Connell’s Irish vestries bill, 27 Apr., and repeal of the Irish coal duties, 13 May. He paired for the second reading of the Jewish emancipation bill, 17 May. He voted to reduce the grants for consular services, 11 June, and Nova Scotia, 14 June, and was in the minority of 30 against the administration of justice bill, 18 June 1830.

At the 1830 general election Tuite offered again, citing his avoidance of ‘all coalitions’ and opposition to ‘every measure tending to increased taxation’. Faced with alliance between his former opponents, and abused for not pledging his unqualified support to Daniel O’Connell*, he ‘apologized for voting for the emancipation bill, clogged as it was with the disfranchisement of the 40s. freeholders’, and explained that he had withdrawn his support from the vestries bill in order to please both Catholics and Protestants. After a warm contest, in which he was ‘rather remiss’ in his canvassing, he was defeated; the Westmeath Journal observed that he had ‘sailed into the emancipation bog [and] run on vestry sands’.7 At the 1831 general election he started as a supporter of the Grey ministry’s reform bill but withdrew after a brief canvass.8 It was erroneously reported in The Times, 4 July 1838, that he had been created a baronet. He sat for Westmeath as a Liberal, 1841-7.9 He died at Sonna in August 1868 and was succeeded by his only son Joseph (1828-1910).10

Ref Volumes: 1820-1832

Author: Philip Salmon


·         1.Brougham mss, Abercromby to Brougham, 12 July; Westmeath Jnl. 8 June 1826.

·         2.Westmeath Jnl. 26 Feb. 1824.

·         3.Dublin Evening Post, 8, 15, 20, 24, 29 June, 1 July 1826; Westmeath Jnl. 15 June; Add. 40334, f. 171.

·         4.The Times, 10 Mar. 1827.

·         5.CJ, lxxxii. 16, 168, 293, 429; lxxxiii. 244, 277.

·         6.Dublin Evening Post, 8 Jan. 1829.

·         7.Westmeath Jnl. 8, 15 July, 5, 12, 19, 26 Aug.; Dublin Evening Post, 29 July, 1 Aug. 1830.

·         8.Dublin Evening Post, 3 May 1831.

·         9.Dod’s Parl. Companion (1846), 241.

·         10.The Times, 19 Aug. 1868.

Related Resources

·         1820-1832 Members

·         1820-1832 Constituencies

·         1820-1832 Parliaments

·         1820-1832 Surveys


“About 1802 the Sonna Harriers were started by Mr. Hugh Tuite (third son of Sir Henry), on leaving the army, shortly after the siege of Gibraltar, at which he served as a captain in the 39th regiment. He had originally joined the 14th Light Dragoons. The pack was made up of picked drafts from the best English kennels, including Mr. Coke’s*, the celebrated owner of Holkham, one of the finest seats in Norfork. Mr. Tuite was a sportsman of the true old type. Pea-green coat, with black collar, buff facings and vest, was presented only to a select band of followers, about twenty-five in all.


With kennels at Coolnahay, where a stream ran through the yard, everything, including the horses and general turn out, was consistent with a smart establishment. The country hunted was all the best going in the country, stretching from Skeagh.


*Mr. William Coke instituted at his shooting parties the hats now called “billycock”, from his name Billy Coke.”



Records of Hunting in Westmeath


“Hill and Churchtown to Ledeston and from Mullingar to Bunbrusna; in fact, the circuit of Lough Owel and to Ballynacargy and south to Sonna. There were no hounds belonging to the northern part of Westmeath, but Mr. Clibbon kept a trencher-fed pack at Moate. There was racing as well as hunting in the year 1809: a four days’ meeting from 4th to 7th of April at Finea. This out-of-the-way little town lies partly in Cavan and partly in Westmeath, the river Inny being the boundary, spanned by the bridge famous in Irish history, when “Miles the Slasher” held it at the time of the battle of Granard.


The “Ballymacue Yeomen Stakes” was run at the above meeting, and Mr. Laghey was the fortunate yeoman who won it.


Then there was Hunters’ Plate of 30 sovs., run in three mile heats, and ridden by gentlemen. The horses were to have been hunted in Westmeath, Cavan, or Longford.


Mr. Shore’s mare “Plough-Boy” won, and was hard pressed by Mr. O’Farrell’s grey horse by “Kildare.”


Mr. Hugh Morgan Tuite, whose elder brother had died, was M.P. for the county from 1826 to 1830, and again 1842 to 1847, succeeded his father, and took great pains in keeping up the efficiency of the Sonnna hounds. He gave them up at the time of the Irish famine, and then it was that Mr. Henry Murray started his pack with five couple of the smallest of the Sonna hounds as a foundation. (Mr. Tuite had taken the pick of Sir R. Nagle’s harriers that were kept at Jamestown; Sir J. Strong, of Tynon, got the remainder of the pack.) Sir Richard Nagle had succeeded to Jamestown by marriage with the Geoghegan family; he was created a baronet in 1813; and only lived fourteen years to enjoy the honours of his title.”


Sir Hugh Morgan Tuite was considered a good land lord and was well respected in the area, a favourite saying in the locality was “always at home like Tuite of Sonna”.


Thomas Patrick Tuite born in the United States in 1849 and died on 1/21/1933. Thomas Tuite was a fenian who was one of the leaders of the fenian rebellion in Ireland in 1867. He had a grandson, Charles Tuite, who had two daughters, Margaret and Dodi. See “Tuites Romance”.




BORN 17th April, 1863, second son of the late Major-General Hugh Manley Tuite, R.A., and heir presumptive to his brother, Sir Morgan Harry Paulet Tuite, 11th Baronet, of Sonnagh, County Westmeath, Mr. Tuite is descended from a Norman family settled in Ireland as early as the twelfth century, the time of Strongbow, whose crest tells a tale of crusading ancestors. From 1882 to 1890 he held a commission in the Northumberland Fusiliers, seeing active service in the Hazara campaign in 1888, and receiving the Indian frontier medal, with clasp. While serving in India he began to write, his work was accepted by Mr. Rudyard Kipling, then editor of the Civil and Military Gazette, and he contributed a large number of stories, articles, and "turnovers" to the columns of that journal. In 1892 he saw an advertisement in Answers for an assistant editor on Messrs. Harmsworth's staff. In reply to that advertisement there were a thousand applications, but instead of writing, Mr. Tuite went over from Ireland and saw Mr. Harmsworth, now Lord Northcliffe. The latter he found no grave and reverend signior as he expected, but a young man, who looked about twenty years of age, though really some six years more. As a result of the personal application he was engaged upon Messrs. Harmsworth's literary staff, and he has been editor of the Scottish Weekly Record since its foundation. He is a contributor to numerous periodicals, including the London Daily Mail, Cassells' Magazine, and the London Magazine. In 1904 he published a novel, "The Heart of the Vicar," which, though woven round the problem as to whether a divorced person can conscientiously marry again, is a delightful story, of entirely healthy and engrossing interest; and in 1906, "Bob and the Dream Birds," a story for children. He has also written several plays. He is a Member of the Institute of Journalists and of the Incorporated Society of Authors, and is a Freemason. Mr. Tuite found time, while in Glasgow, to play the clarionet in the Cecilian Orchestral Society and the Players' Orchestra; but since the autumn of 1908 has resided chiefly in London.

Mr. Tuite married, in 1893, Eva Geraldine, daughter of the late Mr. Peter Valentine Hatton, county Wicklow, and has four children. Mrs. Tuite has written several books on cookery, and contributes to various journals.


Freehold Land Value in the 1800’s


The vast majority of freeholds had a value of 40 shillings. As a rule of thumb, this value can be assumed in the following list, except where no landlord is specified, in which case a value of 10 pounds and upwards applies. Please note that this is a very general rule of thumb only.

Freeholders were allowed to vote in local elections. The Relief Act enabling Roman Catholics to enter Parliament and hold higher offices of state (better known as Catholic Emancipation) was passed on 13 April 1829. On the same day an Act raising the county franchises from 40 shillings to 10 pounds freehold was enacted, a "mischief-bill" in the words of Daniel O'Connell. Therefore the vast majority of people on this list were disenfranchised from 1829.

Name of Life or Lives, or other Tenure: The condition under which the freehold is granted (the duration of the freehold), normally the life of the freeholder, or a relative, or the landlord, or a combination of all or any of those. Sometimes a member of the British royalty is mentioned, or a foreign king or prince is specified, or a member of the clergy.

Landowners in Co. Westmeath, circa 1870’s


(Contributed by Jean Rice


1.       Henry Tuite, (a minor), address Sonna, Mullingar, owned 1,490 acres.

2.       John Tuite, address Springfield, Mullingar, owned 178 acres (married Lucy Ann Salmon who gave birth to Mary Margaret Tuite in Springfield on July 18th 1872).

3.       Joseph Tuite, address Sonna, Mullingar, owned 7,391 acres.

4.       Thomas Tuite, address Toor, Ballynacargy, owned 1 acre.


Freeman's Journal24 July 1841 

Guide to the Irish Commoners

(Written expressly for the Freeman)

TUITE Hugh Morgan

Westmeath co. — a Reformer; first elected in 1826.


Connaught Journal
Printed and Published in Lower Cross-street by Barthw. O'FLAHERTY
Galway, Ireland
Thursday, March 5, 1840
Volume 89 Price 5D


Addresses to the Queen.-The County Meath, assembled on last Saturday, for the purpose of addressing the Queen and Prince Albert on the happy event of
their marriage. The county of Westmeath met on Tuesday. The requisition to the High Sheriff was signed by the nobility and gentry without any party
distinction. The Earl of Longford and Sir Montague CHAPMAN, Lord Kilmaine and Mr. TUITE, Sir R. LEVINGE and Mr. Gerald DEASE, cordially united in this well-timed expression of loyalty.


Property owners County Tipperary 1870

Sir Mark Tuite Ballymacur, Nenagh 89 acres.


County Carlow Landowners circa 1870’s

Per genealogy library reference book, the following individuals owned one acre or more of land in Co. Carlow, Ireland, in the latter part of the 1870s:

Patrick Tuite, address Kilcloney, owned 49 acres.


Nicholas Tuite MacCarthy

Called the Abbé de Lévignac, born in Dublin on 19 May, 1769; died at Annécy, Savoy, 3 May, 1833. He was the second son of Count Justin MacCarthy, by Mary Winefrid Tuite, daughter of Nicholas Tuite, Chamberlain to the King of Denmark. At the age of four he was taken by his parents to Toulouse, where, disgusted with English law as administered in Ireland, they took up their permanent abode. Later he was sent to the Collége du Plessis in Paris. At the age of fourteen he received tonsure at the seminary of St-Magloire. He had nearly completed his course of theological studies at the Sorbonne when the Revolution forced him to leave. He retired to Toulouse. His ordination to priesthood was postponed until his forty-fifth year (1814), partly owing to the Revolution, and partly to a weakness of the loins which rendered it impossible for him to stand for any considerable time. Having sufficiently recovered from this infirmity, he entered the seminary of Chambéry, in Savoy, in 1813, and was ordained to priesthood in June, 1814. Toulouse was the scene of his first missionary labours. In a short time he became a famous preacher. In 1817 he was offered the Bishopric of Montauban, which he refused. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1818, and made his simple vows two years later. He was reserved exclusively for preaching. So noted was his talent in this respect that he was appointed during his novitiate to preach the Advent Station before the Court of France. The fame of his preaching spread throughout the kingdom, and accordingly he was invited to preach in all the principal cities of the country, as well as in Switzerland. He was admitted to the solemn profession of the order in 1828. The Revolution of 1830 led him to retire to Savoy, whence he was summoned to Rome, arriving in October of the same year. While in Rome he preached every Sunday before the most distinguished personages there. After a short time, however, his health, never robust, became greatly impaired; but not even this lessened his spiritual zeal. On leaving Rome he settled in Turin, at a college of his order. At the request of the King of Sardinia-whose brother Charles Emmanuel was a novice in the Society of Jesus-the Abbé MacCarthy conducted a retreat for the Brigade of Savoy, and did much good amongst the military, his time being completely devoted to the pulpit and confessional. He preached the Lenten course of   sermons at Annécy, but being soon afterwards taken ill, expired there, in the bishop's palace, and was buried in the cathedral. As a preacher, he was in eloquence inferior only to such men as Bossuet and Massillon; but whilst they spoke principally for a special class of hearers, the Abbé MacCarthy's sermons are for all countries and for all time, and are to be regarded even at the present day, for depth of thought, for piety, and for practical application, as among the best contributions to homiletic literature.


Deplace, Biographical Sketch prefixed to Sermons (Lyons, 1834); MAHONEY, Biographical Notice to tr. of Sermons (Dublin, 1848); Dictionary of National Biography (London, 1893). P.A. Beecher

Transcribed by Dennis McCarthy




The Landed Gentry, Page 705, Ireland, Tuite.


ROBERT STRATFORD TUITE, of Killeen, co. Longford, and Cloone, co. Cavan. J.P. for co. Longford, late Major 4th Batt. Royal Irish Fusiliers, b. 27 July, 1852; m. 15 May 1888, Georgina Phelps, eldest surviving dau. of the late Major George Roche Smith, 2nd Queen’s Royals, and 99th Regt.., by Grace Elizabeth his wife, eld. dau. of Major Robert Hedges Eyre Maunsell, 39th Regt., of Plassey, co. Limerick, and Beakstown, co. Tipperary, and has issue,

1.       Thomas Mark Hardress Stratford, b. 17 April, 1891.

2.       Norman Eric Maunsell Stratford, b. 25 April 1892.

3.       Evelyn Morgan Aubrey Stratford, b. 1 Aug. 1894.

4.       Maurice John Southwell Law, b. 15 Jan 1902.

1.    Gladys Grace Dawson-Damer Stratford.

Lineage. –Sir Richard De Tuite accompanied the Earl of Pembroke into Ireland 1172, and was killed in Athlone 1211, while holding a Court. He erected the famous abbey of Lara, near Granard, co. Longford, in 1205, long the burial place of the Princes of Annally, and where he himself was buried. Sir Richard left two sons,


1.       Sir Richard de Tuite, surnamed The Black, Baron of Moycashell.

2.       Maurice Tuite, ancestor of Tuite of Sonnagh (see Burke’s Peerage and Barondage).


A branch of the family of Tuite of Sonnagh, possessing lands in the cos. of Longford, Cavan and Meath, descends from Sir Edmund Tuite. Knt., m. Alice, dau. of James Fitzgerald, of Laceagh, co. Westmeath , and had a son, Edward Tuite, of Tuitestown, co.Westmeath, b. 1612. High Sheriff 1642, who, while sheriff, raised the county against His Magisty’s Army, and was killed in a battle near Ticroghan; in consequence of which, his estates of Tuitestown, Ledwithstown, Carolstown, Coblestown, and others, became forfeited, and were granted to Philip, Lord Wharton, and were claimed by Thomas Tuite, son of Edward Tuite, in 1664, but the “Act of Explanation” of 1666 excluded the claims of Innocents (see Report of Carte Papers, 1869, at the Bodleian Lib. Oxford).

Thomas Tuite, grandson of Edward Tuite, settled at Carragh, Granard, co. Longford, in 1700, and m. 1720, Kathleen, dau. of James Major, of Higginstown, in that co., and d. 1772, aged 92, leaving two sons, Francis; James, b. 1732; and one dau. surviving.

The elder son,

Francis Tuite, b. 1730; m. 1752, Rachel, dau. of Rev. Edward Groome, M.A., of Eyre Court, co. Galway, and d. 3 May. 1813, having by her (who d. July, 1799) had issue,


1.       Thomas, his heir.

2.       Edward, d. April, 1792.


The elder son,

Thomas Tuite, of Rockfield, Grandard, b. 10 April, 1756, was a very extensive land agent, and held, with other agencies, that of his kinsman, Sir Henry Tuite, 8th bart., of Sonagh. He m. 23 June, 1790, Mary, dau. of Edward Reid, J.P., of Galmoylestown, co. Meath, and by her (who d. 23 Aug. 1827) had issue,

1.       Thomas, his heir.

2.       Edward, d. 15 May, 1876.

1.    Alice Pailes, d. 11 Aug. 1830.

2.    Jane, d. June, 1831.

3.    Matilda Maconchy, d. 1870.

4.    Maria, d. 1868.

5.    Rachel Groom, d. 4 July, 1822.


Mr. Tuite d. 26 June 1827, and was s. by his eldest son, Thomas Tuite, of Granard, co. Longford, b. 11 March, 1806; m. 10 Nov. 1842, Eleanor, dau. of Capt. Robert Stratford, of Annsgrove, co. Westmeath, and by her (who d. 25 Feb. 1901) had issue,

1.       Thomas Groonie, b. 21 April, 1845; d. 11 July, 1858.

2.       Robert Strattford, of Killeen and Cloone.

1.     Mary, d. 29 Sept. 1843.

2.    Annie Jane, d. urm. 31 March, 1888.


Mr. Thomas Tuite d. 29 Sept. 1893.

Seats – Killeen, Granard, co. Longford; and Cloone Gowna co. Cavan. Residence – 27, Herbert Place Dublin.



The Landed Gentry, Page 706, Ireland, Tuite



Henry Maurice Tuite, of Sonna, co. Westmeath J.P., b. 15th Oct. 1856; s. his father 1910; m. 8 March 1886, Constance Edith, dau. of Henry Murry Campbell, of Halston, Westmeath.

Lineage – See Burke’s Peerage, Tuite, Bart. Hugh Morgan Tuite, M.P., D.L., of Sonna (who d. 16 Aug. 1868), by Mary his 1st wife (who d. 14 March, 1863), dau. of Maurice O’Connor, of Mount Pleasant, and grandson of Capt. Hugh Tuite, of Sonna. 4th son of Sir Henry Tuite; 6th bart., had issue, an only son.

Joseph Tuite, of Sonna, co. Westmeath, J.P. for that co., High Sheriff 1868, D.L. co. Longford, late Lieut. 15th Regt., b. 15 Oct 1828; m. 1st, 8 Jan. 1852, Ellen Mary, dau. of Rev. Charles Fox Chawner, Rector of Bletchingley. She d. 2 Dec. 1863, leaving issue,

1.       Henry Maurice, now of Sonna.

2.       Mariaa Charlotte Mary, m. 1879, Brook Pakenham Bridges Taylor, a Gentleman Usher to H.M. the King.

He m. 2ndly, 4 June, 1868, Ellen, youngest dau. of James B. Boothby, of Twyford Abbey, and d. 21 Feb. 1910. She d.s.p. 26 April, 1898.

Arms – Quarterly arg. and gu. Crest – An angel vested arg., holding in her dexter hand a flaming sword ppr., the sinister resting on a shield of the arms. Motto – Alleluiah.

Seat – Sonna, Westmeath.

Sir Henry 8th bart was a patron of the artist Francis Nicholson OWS (1753-1844) an English landscape painter who is thought to have visited Ireland in the early 1800s at the behest of his Irish patrons.

Boothby, Robert Tuite, Sir


Child 1: Boothby, Robert John Graham, MP, Lord


Kilrush Union Minute Books 1849

Meeting held on Saturday, 15th day of December, 1849

The following Report was read from the medical officer for Moyarta and Kilballyowen District Viz,  I merely gave a sketch of four families who have laboured under severe Illness such as fever & diarhia omitting a greater number of cases labouring under debility produced by extreme privations for the last forthnight. I fear that any succour now produced will not prevent disastrous consequences. The very hearts and nerve of even the able-bodied paupers is nearly paralysed, through actual dread of being exposed to the heart rending sights they are now accustomed to, what can public officers do, who are connected with the paupers on Out Door Relief, truly they cannot be responsible for the lives of so many unfortunate human beings placed under their charge when the common scanty supply of meal hitherto afforded is now withheld for the last forthnight, and that draw back of food will tell frightfully in a short time even on the stalwart Labourer, not to mention, the delicate male and female children, under their charge. Turnip tops and the scavenging of the fields, for small turnips are now exhausted and winter cold will finish the fare for the Poor, having described to you the state of sick poor, & the poor in general, things would have been worse were it not for a few bags of meal obtained on the credit of the Relieving officer & distributed. Those few bags of meal were distributed to the worse cases, I could find, having travelled in company with Mr McInerney Relief Officer through the Parish, anything I could add to this would be only making bad worse, the same state of things are to be expected and are realized in Moyarta District

Jeremiah Tuite, M.D.




Father Hore's Emigrants
From County Wicklow Ireland to the USA
Sourced from the book "A Farewell to Famine" by Jim Rees

In 1850, and ageing priest called Father Hore led a group of over 1000 people from their homes in County Wicklow and Wexford, to begin new lives in the American mid-west.

This was no flight from famine but an attempt to organize and establish an Irish Catholic Colony in Little Rock Arkansas. But the group broke into six groups, settling into such diverse places as New Orleans, Arkansas, Texas, Missouri and Iowa, where some established a town called Wexford.

Members of the group were responsible for making their own way from their homes in Ireland to Liverpool where they were to set sail. bound for New Orleans. The three ships Father Hore chartered were ordinary vessels in the immigration trade, carrying goods east and humans west. Exactly when Father Hore embarked with his group is difficult to say but they arrived in America in 1850

The List

The following is a list of passengers on board the TICONDERONGA the LOODIANAH and the CHASCA. Unlike the Fitzwilliam Tenants list which was compiled on the estate, the Hore list was compiled only from these passenger lists.

While all of the group were accommodated on one or another of these vessels, there were also passengers on them that were not part of Father Hore's group. A lot Germans and Dutch went to the US through Liverpool, having sailed from the Hook of Holland to the east coast of England and then crossing to Liverpool.

Many of the passengers on the TICONDEROGA and possibly the other two travelled on multiple contract tickets. On ticket No.22 code 16 fourteen passengers were named The total cost of the ticket was 75 pound or five pound each.

The location, where shown, indicates the final destination of that passenger in the USA.


TUITE Thomas 30 Ticonderonga




Warrant Officer Michael Tuite





Regimental Sergeant-Major of the NSW infantry contingent to the Sudan, 1885. Prior to his service in the Sudan, Tuite had served in the New Zealand wars and Afghanistan. On the contingent's return to Sydney, Tuite was presented with a silver tea and coffee service by the mayor of Sydney because he "had been the most efficient man in the service." part of this silver set is displayed in the Australian War Memorial.

Colonel Edward Tuite Dalton

Soldier - Anthropologist
1815 - 1880





Mother: Frances Tuite of Newcastle House Oldcastle, Co Meath. Newcastle House in Oldcastle Co Meath is close to the Fennor estate and Baltrasna House and Loughcrew churchyard.


Father: Sir John A Stevenson: 1760-1833 Director of Music Trinity Dublin. Composed lyrics for Thomas Moore's Irish Melodies.



Obituary: General E.T. Dalton, C.S.I.

Proceedings of the Royal geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography, Volume 3, Issue 2 (Feb., 1881), 109.

General E.T. Dalton, C.S.I. – The death is announced of Major-General Edward Tuite Dalton, C.S.I., who entered the army in 1835, and took part in expeditions against the frontier tribes of Assam in 1839-40 and in 1842. When two French missionaries, M.M. Kirk and Bourry, had been murdered on the Tibetan frontier by a Mishmi chief, General Dalton received much praise for his skill in organising the expedition which captured the murderer. Our associate died at Cannes, on December 30th, In the sixty-fifth year of his age.

Major-General Edward Tuite Dalton C.S.I.

Royal Asiatic Society: Proceedings of the fifty-seventh anniversary meeting of the Society, 24th May 1881, P vii.







WESTMEATH (County of), an inland county of the province of LEINSTER, bounded on the east by the county of Meath; on the north, by those of Meath, Cavan, and Longford; on the west, by those of Longford and Roscommon ; and on the south, by the King’s county. It extends from 53º 18’ to 53º 47’ (N. Lat.), and from 6º 55’ to 7º 55’ (W. Lon.); comprising an area, according to the Ordnance survey, of 386,251 statute acres, of which 313,935 are cultivated land, 55,982 are unimproved mountain and bog, and 16,334 are under water. The population, in 1821, amounted to 128,819; and in 1831, to 136,872.

This county formed part of the kingdom of Meath when the island was divided into five provincial dynasties, and was then known by the name of Eircamhoin, or “the Western Division.” Its provincial assemblies were held at the hill of Usneagh, supposed by some to be the Laberus noticed by Ptolemy as one of the inland cities of Ireland. In 1153, the northern part of the county became the scene of contention between two sons of Dermod O’Brien, who terminated their strife by a bloody battle fought near Fore, in which Turlogh having obtained the victory, became master of his brother’s person and put out his eyes. The principal Irish families during this period were those of MacGeoghegan (chieftains of Moycashel), O’Mulbrenan or Brenan, O’Coffy, O’Mullady, O’Malone, O’Daly, O’Higgins, Magawly, Magan, O’Shannagh (afterwards changed to Fox), O’Finilan and O’Cuishin. The annals of the religious houses prove that this county suffered much during the period in which the island was exposed to the predatory incursions of the Danes; the town and abbey of Fore alone having been burnt nine times in the 10th and 11th centuries, either by the Danes or by the bordering Irish chieftains. After the settlement of the English in Leinster , the county formed part of the palatinate of Hugh de Lacy, who allotted it in large tracts to his principal followers, the most remarkable of whom were Petit, Tuite, Hussey, D’Alton, Delamare, Dillon, Nugent, Hope, Ware, Nangle, Ledewich, Geneville, Dardis, Gaynor, and Constantine. Subsequently, the families of Darcy, Johnes, Tyrrell, Fitzgerald, Owen, and Piers settled here at various periods previous to the Reformation. The ancient Irish were not at once exterminated by the new settlers: they made several attempts to recover their former position, in one of which, in 1329, Mac Geoghegan, chieftain of Moycashel, defeated an English force under Lord Thomas le Botiller, who was killed in the action. Two years after the Irish were defeated in a battle near Finae by Sir Anthony Lucy, Lord Justice. Mortimer, Earl of March, who married Philippa, daughter and heiress of Lionel, Duke of Clarence, third son of Edward III., finding it necessary to conceal himself during the troubles that followed the deposition of Richard II., chose this county as his place of refuge, where he remained a long time in concealment. In 1468, Delamar, abbot of Tristernagh, was attainted by act of parliament for uniting with the Irish enemies and English rebels in an insurrection in which the town of Delvin was burnt. By an act of the 34th of Hen. VIII., the ancient palatinate of Meath was divided, the eastern portion retaining its former name and the western being distinguished by the appellation which it still retains. Longford was a portion of the latter division, until it was formed into a distinct county by Elizabeth. The plan for the insurrection of 1641 is said to have been concerted in the abbey of Multifarnham, in this county, as being conveniently situated in the centre of the island and a place of great resort for religious purposes, so that the assemblage of large numbers there at any particular time was less liable to suspicion: and in the subsequent war between William and James the county was the scene of several severe actions. So great was the change of property occasioned by the confiscations after these wars, that not one of the names of the persons who formed the previous Grand Juries are found on the modern lists.

The principal families who obtained grants of confiscated lands were those of Packenham, Wood, Cooke, Stoyte, Reynell, Winter, Levinge, Wilson, Judge, Rochfort, Handeock, Bonynge, Gay, Handy, Ogle, Middleton, Swift, Burtle, and St. George. Those of Smith, Fetherston, Chapman, O’Reilly, Purdon, Nagle, Blaquiere, and North obtained property by purchase or inheritance. Among the recent settlers, the family of Nagle alone claims from an ancient proprietor, having inherited in the female line from the MacGeoghegans. On the landing of the French at Kilcummin a rising took place in this county, in consequence of an erroneous report from the north: the peasantry first assembled at the hill of Skea, whence they proceeded to Lord Sunderlin’s park, but retired without committing any act of hostility. Afterwards they attacked and plundered Wilson’s Hospital, where there was a collection of arms, and having converted it into a barrack, kept possession of it until driven out by a detachment of the royal forces.

This county is partly in the diocese of Ardagh, but chiefly in that of Meath, and in the province of Armagh. For purposes of civil jurisdiction it is divided into the baronies of Brawney, Clonlonan, Corkaree, Delvin, Demifore, Farbill, Fartullagh, Kilkenny West, Moyashel and Magheradernan, Moycashel, Moygoish, and Rathconrath. It contains the market and assize town of Mulingar, part of the borough and market town of Athlone, the corporate and market town of Kilbeggan ; the market and post towns of Monte, Rathowen, Castletown-Delvin, Ballinacargy, and Clonmellon ; the market town of Collinstown ; and the post-towns of Castlepollard, Kinnegad, Ballymore, Tyrrells-Pass, Killucan, Rochfort-Bridge, and Drumcree : the largest villages are Finae (which has a penny post), Coole, Castletown, and Rathconrath. It sent ten members to the Irish parliament, two for the county and two for each of the boroughs of Athlone, Mullingar, Kilbeggan, and Fore, the last of which is now a small village ; since the Union it has returned three members to the Imperial parliament, two for the county, and one for the borough of Athlone, The county constituency, as registered up to the beginning of 1837, consists of 302 freeholders of £50, 146 of £20, and 1079 of £10 ; 13 leaseholders of £20, and 110 of £10; making a total of 1650 re-gistered voters. The election takes place at Mullingar. Westmeath is included in the Home Circuit: the assizes are held at Mulhingar, where the county court-house and gaol are situated ; general quarter sessions are held alternately at Mullingar and Moate, and at the latter place are a court- house and bridewell. The local government is vested in a lieutenant, 7 deputy-lieutenants, and 94 other magistrates. There are 47 constabulary police stations, having a force of 1 stipendiary magistrate, 1 sub-inspector, 6 chief officers, 50 constables, 222 men, and 9 horses. The district lunatic asylum is at Maryborough, the county infirmary at Mullingar, and the fever hospital at Castlepollard : there are dispensaries at Glasson, Bally nacarrig, Multifarnham, Street, Killucan, Kinnegad, Tyrrell’s-Pass, Moate, Kilbeggan, Athlone, Castletown-Delvin, Drumcree, Clonmellon, Milltown, and Castlepollard, supported by Grand Jury presentments and private subscriptions in equal proportions. The Grand Jury presentments for 1835 amounted to £23,296. 14. 8¼ .of which £15. 7. 0. was for the roads, bridges, &c., being the county charge ; £609. 0. 10½ . for the roads, bridges, &c., being the baronial charge ; £8837. 3. 4¼ for public buildings, charities, officers’ salaries, and incidents; £5618. 14.3¾ for the police, and £8216. 9. 1¾ for repayment of advances made by Government. In the military arrangements the county is included in the western district, of which Athlone is the headquarters, where there are two barracks, one for artillery and the other for infantry, which, with an infantry station at Mullingar, afford accommodation for 80 officers and 1806 non-commissioned officers and men, with 208 horses.

The surface of the county, though nowhere rising into tracts of considerable elevation, is much diversified by hill and dale, highly picturesque in many parts, and deficient in none of the essentials of rural beauty, but timber. In its scenery it ranks next after Kerry, Wicklow, Fermanagh and Waterford. None of the hills are so high as to be incapable of agricultural improvement. Knock Eyne and Knockross, on the shores of Lough Dereveragh, have on their sides much stunted oak and brushwood, the remains of ancient forests. The former of these hills is about 850 feet high. Benfore, near the village of Fore , is 760 feet high. The lakes are large, picturesque, and very numerous, mostly situated in the northern and central parts, the southern being flat and overspread with bog. The largest and most southern of the lakes is Lough Innel or Ennel, now called also Belvidere lake: it is 1½ mile from Mullingar, and is studded with eight islands, the largest of which, called Fort Island, was garrisoned and used as a magazine by the Irish in the war of 1641, and was twice taken by the parliamentary forces, and ultimately retained by them till the Restoration. The names of the others are Shan Oge’s, Goose, Inchycroan, Cormorant, Cherry, Chapel and Green Island : the Brosna passes through it from north to south. To the north of this lake is Lough Hoyle, Foyle, Onel or Owel, in the very centre of the county; the land around it rises gently from its margin, and is fertile and richly planted. The only stream by which it is supplied is the Brosna. Two streams, called the Golden Arm and the Silver Arm, formerly flowed from it, one from each of its extremities: both have been dammed up, and the low grounds on the borders of the lake raised by embank ments so as to increase the body of Water contained in it, in order to render it the feeder of the summit level of the Royal Canal : this alteration has enlarged the surface of the Hoyle to an extent of 2400 acres. The lake has four islands, on one of which is an ancient chapel of rude masonry, with a burial-ground, much resorted to by pilgrims from distant parts; it afforded an asylum to many of the Protestants in the neighbouring country at the commencement of the war of 1641: the other islands are planted. Further north is Lough Dereveragh, a sheet of winding water of very irregular form, 11 miles long and 3 in its greatest breadth ; its waters discharge themselves through the lower Inny into Lough Iron, or Hiern, which is the most western lake in the county, and is likewise a long sheet of water, being a mile long and but ¼ of a mile broad, and very shallow : its banks are enriched with some fine scenery towards Baronstown and Kilbixy ; from its northern extremity the Inny takes its course towards the county of Longford. Lough Lein, three miles to the east of Lough Dereveragh, is of an irregular oval form, two miles long and one broad : its waters are peculiarly clear, and remarkable for having no visible outlet, nor any inlet except a small stream which flows only in rainy seasons : it is surrounded on every side by high grounds, which on the north and south rise into lofty hills from the margin of the lake, and are clothed to their summits with rich verdure and flourishing plantations : there are four fertile and well, planted islands in the lake. In the west is Lough Seudy, a small but romantic sheet of water near the old fortress of Ballymore. Two miles north-east from Mullingar are the small lakes of Drin, Cullen and Clonshever ; Lough Drin supplies Lough Cullen, which, after flowing through a bog, falls into Lough Clonshever, whence the Brosna derives its supply since the waters of Lough Hoyle have been appropriated exclusively to the supply of the Royal Canal. Among the other smaller lakes scattered throughout the country, the principal are Lough Maghan and the two lakes of Waterstown, near Athlone. The fine expansion of the river Shannon, called Lough Ree, may be considered as partially belonging to this county, as it forms the principal part of the western boundary between it and Roscommon : it is twenty miles long in its greatest length from Lanesborough to the neighbourhood of Athlone, and is adorned with several finely wooded islands : those adjoining Westmeath are Inchmore, containing 104 acres, once the site of a monastery built by St. Senanus; Hare island, containing 57 acres, and having the ruins of an abbey built by the Dillon family; Inchturk, containing 24 acres, and Innisbofin, 27. An abbey built on this island by a nephew of St. Patrick was plundered by the Danes in 1089. Lough Glinn forms a small portion of the same boundary towards Longford ; Loughs Sheelin and Kinale are on its north-western limit towards Cavan : the white lake, Lough Deel, and Lough Bawn are small boundary lakes on the side of Meath. The water of the last-named of these has the peculiarity of being lower and more limpid in winter than in summer, being highest in June and lowest at Christmas : in summer its colour is green, like sea-water ; but in winter it is as pellucid as crystal and remarkably light.

Throughout the eastern part of the county the soil is a heavy loam from seven to twelve inches deep, resting on a yellow till : the land here is chiefly under pasture and feeds the fattest bullocks ; from its great fertility it has been called the “garden of Ireland;” the northern part is hilly and very fertile, extremely well adapted for sheepwalks, but chiefly applied to the grazing of black cattle. The barony of Moygoish is fertile, except towards the north, where there is much bog and marshy land. The central barony of Moyashel and Magheradernan is mostly composed of escars, ‘chiefly formed of calcareous sand and gravel. In the western baronies the country is generalhy flat and the soil light: the bog of Allen spreads over a large portion of the baronies of Brawney and Clonlonan. The farms are generalhy large; the chief crops, oats and potatoes, with some wheat, barley, flax, rape and clover. The resident gentry and large farmers have adopted the system of green crops; the most improved implements are in general use. Oxen, yoked in teams of two pairs, are frequently used in ploughing ; limestone gravel is preferred to any other substance as manure ; lime, either separatehy or in a compost with turf mould and the refuse of the farm-yard, is also used. The fences are bad and much neglected, except in the neighbourhood of demesnes and towinlands. The valleys throw up an abundance of rich grass, the hay of which, however, is much injured in consequence of not being cut till a late period, sometimes in September, and being suffered when made up to stand in the fields until the autumnal rains, by which the surface is injured, the lower part of the cocks spoiled, and in low situations the whole is liable to be carried away by the floods. Though dairy husbandry is not practised as extensively as the fertility of the soil would warrant, great quantities of butter are made of very superior quality, and always command a high price; it is chiefly sent to Dublin for the British markets. Much attention is paid to the breed of every kind of cattle. The long-horned cows are highly prized, as growing to a very large size and giving great quantities of milk; the oxen fatten very quickly, and the flavour of their beef is excellent. Sheep, for which several parts are well adapted, are not a favourite stock. Westmeath produces superior horses; the principal fair for their sale is at Mullingar; great numbers are also brought from Connaught , and reared here for sale in Dublin and in the English towns. Timber formerly abounded ; but the profuse use of it when plentiful, the great demand for charcoal for the old iron-works, and the neglect of any prospective measures to supply the deficiency thus arising, have rendered it scarce. The county has, nevertheless, some small copses and underwoods, the remains of the ancient forests. Many trunks of large timber trees, particularly juniper, yew, and fir, have been found in the bogs; the wood, when dried, is always black. The waste and neglect of past ages is now being remedied; there are many thriving young plantations; several of the hills are clothed with wood; the ash grows in such abundance in hedge rows as to prove it to be indigenous to the soil ; hazel is encouraged, in order to make hoops for butter-firkins ; Scotch firs thrive on boggy bottoms, and larch still better.

The county is wholly included within the great limestone plain of Ireland, of which it forms the most elevated portion. The uniformity of its geological structure is broken only at Moate and Ballymahon, in each of which places an isolated protuberant mass of sandstone rises from beneath the general substratum. The predominating colour of the limestone is a blueish grey of various degrees of intensity; it is often tinged with black and sometimes passes into deep black, particularly in those parts in which it is interstratifed with beds of clay-slate, calp or swinestone, or where it abounds with lydian stone. The black limestone in the latter case is a hard compact rock, requiring much fuel for burning it, and is by no means serviceable for agricultural purposes. The structure of the limestone varies from the perfectly compact to the conjointly compact and foliated, and even to the granularly foliated: beds of the last kind are quarried and wrought for various purposes in the northern baronies. Copper, lead, coal, and yellow and dove-coloured marble have been found in small quantities, but not so as to induce searches for the parent bed. A pair of elk’s horns, found in a bog, were presented to Charles I. shortly before the commencement of the civil war ; stags’ horns in a state of great decomposition have been found near the shores of Lough Iron.

The manufactures are merely such as supply the demands of the inhabitants, being confined almost wholly to friezes, flannels, and coarse linens. There are no fisheries of any consequence, although all the lakes are stored with fish of various kinds and excellent quality. The Inny is well stocked with bream, trout, pike, eel, and roach ; salmon is found only in the luny and Brosna, coming out of the Shannon ; Lough Dereveragh is celebrated for its white and red trout ; and about the month of May a small fish of a very pleasant flavour, called the Goaske, of the size of a herring, is taken in this and the neighbouring lake. In the ditches near the borders of Lough Hoyle an incredible quantity of the fry of fish is caught from September to March. In the bogs, and especially in slimy pits covered with water, is found a muscle, flatter and broader than the common sea muscle, the shell brighter in colour, much thinner, and very brittle. They are not numerous, nor are they much used as food.

The Brosna and the Inny are the only rivers of any importance in the county : the former rises near Lough Hoyle ; the latter at Loughcrew, in the county of Meath . Numerous rivulets, flowing through every part, discharge themselves either into one of the lakes, or of the larger rivers. The more remarkable of the lesser rivers are the Mongagh, the Glore, the Gaine, and the Rathconrath. The Shannon forms the western boundary from Lough Ree to a point some miles south of Athlone. The Royal Canal enters the county from that of Meath, two miles north of Kinnegad, and after crossing the Inny by an aqueduct, enters the county of Longford near Tinellick. A branch of the Grand Canal enters from the King’s county near Rahue, and proceeds to Kilbeggan. The roads are numerous through every part ; those of modern construction are well laid out and maintained ; the older are ill laid out and constructed, but these defects are in progress of being remedied.

Many vestiges of very remote antiquity may be traced in the neighbourhood of Ballintubber, and others of a similar description are observable in Moycashel. Of the numerous monastic institutions scattered through the county, those of Clonfad, Kilconiry, Drumcree, Forgney, Killuken, Leckin, Lynn, and Rathugh still remain, either wholly or in part, as places of worship either of Protestants or Roman Catholics. The ruins of those of Farranemanagh, Fore, Kilbeggan, Kilmocahill, and Multifarnham are still in existence: those of Tristernagh and of the houses of the Franciscans, Dominicans, and Augustinians of Mullingar are utterly destroyed ; Athlone had a house of Conventual Franciscans : the existence of several others is now ascertained only by the names of the places in which they flourished.

The ruins of ancient castles, several of which were erected by Hugh de Lacy, are numerous : the remains of Kilbixy castle, his chief residence, though now obliterated, were extensive in the year 1680. Those of Ardnorcher, or Horseleap, another of de Lacy’s castles, and the place where he met with a violent death from the hands of one of his own dependents, are still visible. Rathwire, Sonnagh, and Killare were also built by de Lacy : the second of these stands on the verge of a small but beautiful lake ; the third afterwards fell into the hands of the Mac Geoghegans, the mansion of which family was at Castle Geoghegan, and some remains of it are still visible. Other remarkable castles were Delvin, the seat of the Nugents ; Leney, belonging to the Gaynors ; Empor, to the Daltons ; Killaniny and Ardnagrath, to the Dillons ; Bracca, near Ardnorcher, to the Handys, who have a modern mansion in its neighbourhood ; and Clare Castle, or Mullaghcloe, the headquarters of Generals de Ginkell and Douglas when preparing for the siege of Ballymore. Several castles of the Mac Geoghegans were in the neighbourhood of Kilbeggan. The modern mansions of the nobility and gentry are noticed under the heads of their respective parishes.

The peasants are a healthy robust race. The women retain their maiden name after marriage; they perform the outdoor work, bring the turf home in carts, and share in the labours of the field. The English language is everywhere spoken, except by some of the old people, and that only in ordinary conversa-tion among themselves. The habitations are poor; the roofs without ceilings, formed of a few couples, and supported by two or three props, over which the boughs of trees not stripped of their leaves are laid crossways, and these are covered with turf and thatched with straw. A hole in the roof gives vent to the smoke; and the bare ground constitutes the floor and hearth. The house-leek is encouraged to grow on the thatch, from a notion that it is a preservative against fire : the peasants make their horses swim in some of the lakes on Garlick Sunday, the second Sunday in August, to preserve them in health during the remainder of the year. There is a chalybeate spa at Grangemore, near Killucan ; but the water is little used, in consequence of the difficulty of access to the place. Westmeath gives the title of Marquess to the family of Nugent.


Un-Researched Information:


James and Bridget Tuite, married May 3rd 1819 (from a family bible which was printed in NYC)

Their 10 children were:

                     William (b. June 17, 1820)

                     Thomas (b. May 17, 1822)

                     Margaret (b. June 24, 1824; died Sept 23, 1827)

                     James (b. Nov 25, 1828)

                     2nd Margaret "Peggy" (b. March 6, 1829)

                     Mary (b. Oct 26, 1831; died 1832)

                     Francis (b. July 28, 1833)

                     John (b. July 28, 1836)

                     2nd Mary (b. Feb 17, 1840)

                     Andrew Jackson (b. May 18, a)


There were two large Tuite families in the NY and NJ area in the late 1860s:

NY 1850/60/70 Census names were: Francis, Thomas, John, Michael, Walter, Ann, Catharine/Catherine, Elizabeth, Eliza, James, Margaret, Philip, Robert, Rose, William, Nicholas and Richard NJ 1860.70/90 Census names were: John, James, Margaret, Mary J., Patrick, Caroline, Frank, Mary, "P", Thomas and Walter.


Patrick Tuite, married to Mary Costello, Co. Westmeath, had at least one daughter, Mary Ann born 1860 (was baptized at the Parish of Dysort in the Diocese of Meath according to the rite of the Catholic Church on the 9th of Feb, 1861) and at least one son Peter. Mary married a Talbot (John ?) and immigrated to America via New York when 16 or in 1882. Family settled in the New Jersey area, Somerset County.

Ellie McDonough (nee Tuite) (Dysart, Mullingar) – July 3rd, 1968 at St. Loman's Hospital Mullingar.Ellen: deeply regretted by her nephews, relatives and friends, R.I.P. Funeral from St. Patrick's Church, Dysart, to Castletown geoghegan Cemetary.


William Tuite, born about 1813 in Dundalk, County Louth, who married Bridget Herreran (c. 1816?-1889) (also know by the surnames of McKettrick and Cunningham) of Dundalk in the 1830’s. William and Bridget moved to Australia in about 1839 and soon settled in Merriwa, NSW, where they raised a family of eleven children, including Mary TUITE (1846-1904), who married Daniel GALLAGHER in Singleton, NSW in 1869. William Tuite’s father was noted as being Patrick(?) Tuite of Dundalk Plains, Dundalk, Louth.


John Joseph Tuite born in Mullingar, Co. Westmeath in April of 1834. Son of Robert Tuite and Christa Broody/Brodie (probably married around the late 1820’s). John emigrated to Canada in the late 1840’s early 1850’s with his cousins Michael E. Tuite and Rosanna. Michael’s parents were Christopher Tuite and Rosanna Broody, probably Christa’s sister and Robert and Christopher were probably brothers.


Eliza Tuite born 1832 Meath Ireland emigrated to Australia around 1851. Her father was Michael, a farmer, and mother was Anne Leeany


John Tuite, a farmer from Springfield  married Lucy Ann Salmon. She gave birth to Mary Margaret Tuite in Springfield on July 18, 1872 which was registered in Mullingar on August 6, 1872.


Donegal: Mary Tuite, a protestant, married a catholic Dolan and was banished to Leitrim by her employer Mr Trednick (around 1866?).

Margaret Tuite (died 8/10/1922 Boris, County Carlow Ireland) married Thomas Bolger (born 1820). 


Peter Tuite (1880/82-1964). His parents were Patrick Tuite and Ann Reilly of Ireland. His siblings were Mary(m. keyes), Susan(m. lynch), John, Bernard, Bridget, Ann, Eleanor(m. Andrew) and Kathleen(m. Patrick O'Reilly). Peter Tuite died in Stamford, Connecticut USA.


Timothy and Johanna Tuite (nee Ryan)..parents of Mary Tuite b.1838-1837 Nenagh or Clonoulty Tipperary. One only record of a Timothy Tuite is in Griffith's Valuation Index: Timothy Tuite of Ballinahinch-Kiloscully (lived in townland of Curraghduff).


Patrick Tuite born 1886 to Edward Tuite and Bridget Brady, Patrick had brothers Philip and John, Also sisters Alice, Mary Kate, and Anne. Patrick Tuite came to NYC in 1912 and married Fannie (Frances Donohue) of Galway around 1920's. They lived in Manhattan and Queens. Both are buried in St. John's Cemetary along with Fannie's sister or sister-in-law Theresa Donohue. Patrick's father EdwardTuite died in 1920 and Edward had a brother James and a sister Margaret Tuite. There is a Philip Tuite Born 1749 and died 1822 in family plot.


County Wicklow, Arklow Parish Census Records 1901/1911

Tuite, James 28 Arklow Harbor #13 Census Date: 1901 Geraldine - Fishingboat. Fisherman/single Dublin.

Tuite Family of Kilsaran (near Castlebellingham), Co. Louth, Ireland.

John (Peck) Tuite 1905/1989. Emigrated to the USA, when quite young. Lived in the Bronx (and possibly Staten Island), New York City. Married and had two sons - Albert (deceased) and Thomas. Kathleen Tuite 1900 - 1992? Emigrated to the US with John. Married to John Hollidge (or Holage).


Mary Anne (or Marie Anne) Tuite. Born in 1851, married to Francois Labbe in 1868 and died in 1931. Possibly orphaned at a young age, and also possibly of Irish decent.


Database: Irish Records Index, 1500-1920

Last Name

Given Name and Status


Film #


T, Box & Order #

Item Order


Elizabeth Dorothea (als Cobbe)




T16720, pg 5

18 of 91


Henry Maurice



Rathconrath, Westmth


28 of 100


Henry Maurice (Esq)



Mullingar, Westmeath

         M3863 (14)

13 of 15


Henry (Bart - Deceased)




T16720, pg 5

18 of 91


Hugh Morgan,





page 35

Sec 14


Hugh Morgan, Esq




page 29

Sec 14





Feimore Meath

Misc 1617-

Sec 9





Feimore Meath

Misc/Lse +6

Sec 7






Lease, pg -1

Sec 7


Joseph, Sir, Bart




Lse #3370

54 of 150



Irish Flax Growers List, 1796




Given Name


















































































Property owners County Tipperary 1870: Sir Mark Tuite Ballymacur, Nenagh 89 acres

King James's Irish Army List, 1689: Tuite

'Haydn's Dictionary of Dates' published in London in 1895. The name's are as published, with forenames where found. The date is in reference to the day of execution. A reason for execution is noted if known and the last place of reference is the place of the trial. Also noted are the names of the victims, where known: TUITE, Francis 1813 09 Oct Murder of Mr. GOULDING; Dublin.

A poem written by one of the Tuite family.


                W. M. H. UP TO DATE (1897)

We have now got joint Masters of whom we are proud-

On sides we hear their praises sung loud!

Let the hunting community give them support,

For the Lord and the Honourable mean to show sport.


Our Hon Sec. And Treasurer, Major George Hall,

Is a topper at jumping a five-foot-six wall:

Better balanced on horseback than in his accounts:

And hunt-races he, gets plenty of mounts.


For his weight our best man – and he rides twenty stone-

Is, without doubt, Colonel Richard Malone,

Of Baronstown owner, a fine-looking man

At the head of his Rifles, or leading the van.


Herbert Fether is one who is all for a start,

And Toby, of that ilk, is wild for a dart:

But the Canon “goes off” at the very first note-

Our honoured and reverned pastor from Moate.


One seldom now Goodbody or Brabazon sees,

And Middleton’s busy at earning his fees.

The hunt, very often, too, misses Tom Maher,

And young Charlie Breville, who’s now a hussar.


True lovers of sport are the two Misses Reynell,

The puppies they walk are the pride of the kennel.

You never draw Edmondton blank of a fox

And they manage the payments for hens and for cocks.


When drawing the laurels and woods about Sonna,

A Vulp will be found, you may bet ‘pon you honour;

He does not ride much, and is fond of a shoot,

But a good fox preserver is Henry Tuite.”

(The poem contains a total of fifty-nine verses).








Co. Westmeath County

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1820-1832, ed. D.R. Fisher, 2009
Available from
 Cambridge University Press

Background Information

Number of registered freeholders:

2,601 in 1829; 641 in 1830

Number of voters:

2,507 in 18261






18 Mar. 1820






5 Mar. 1824

ROBERT SMYTH vice Rochfort, deceased


22 June 1826







Robert Smyth



Richard Malone


12 Aug. 1830







Hugh Morgan Tuite



Gerald Dease


9 May 1831






Main Article

Westmeath was predominantly arable, producing mainly oats and potatoes. There were several market towns, including Castle Pollard, Moate and Rathowen, the disfranchised boroughs of Fore, Kilbeggan and Mullingar, the venue for county elections, and the parliamentary borough of Athlone, which lay partly in Roscommon.2The representation had long been dominated by the childless George Rochfort, 2nd earl of Belvidere, whose kinsman Gustavus Hume Rochfort had sat since 1798. Following Belvidere’s death in 1814 and the breakup of his estates, however, the commanding interest had passed to Thomas Pakenham, 2nd earl of Longford, of Pakenham Hall, Castle Pollard. His brother Hercules had in 1808 replaced William Smyth, the nominee of the ailing Nugent interest headed by George Frederick Nugent, 7th earl of Westmeath. Unsuccessful attempts to unseat the sitting Members had been mounted by Westmeath’s heir Lord Delvin and Robert Stearne Tighe of Michelstown, both of whom had solicited the support of William Handcock, 1st Baron Castlemaine, the proprietor of Athlone, Sir Thomas Chapman of Killua, the various branches of the Smyth family and a growing ‘Catholic interest’.3


At the 1820 general election Rochfort and Pakenham offered again. Tighe urged the electors to ‘change your representatives’ and insist that they ‘give some pledge for the future’, as ‘Ireland is neither prosperous or safe’, but declined to stand himself. There was no opposition.4 Both Members continued to support the Liverpool ministry. Only Pakenham attended to oppose Catholic claims in 1821, but Rochfort paired against the bill to relieve Catholic peers of their disabilities the following year. On Rochfort’s death in 1824 his son and heir Gustavus, with only a modest inheritance, refused to come forward, despite the solicitations of ‘numerous friends’. Robert Smyth of Drumcree, only son of William Smyth, offered, citing ‘nearly similar’ political principles to those of his father and refusing to be ‘bound by any pledges’. He was supported by Longford, Richard Malone of Baronston, his proposer, and Chapman, who apparently looked on him as ‘a sort of locum tenens’ until his son Montagu came of age. Hugh Morgan Tuite of Sonna, the pro-Catholic son of a resident gentleman of ‘about £5,000 per annum’, made a ‘limited canvass’, but on finding ‘the strong interests combined’ against him withdrew, hinting that he intended to stand at the next general election. Richard Levinge of Knockdrim Castle was also spoken of and obtained ‘numerous assurances of support’, but he declined from ‘circumstances of a private nature’, requesting that his friends ‘keep themselves disengaged for any future election’. Smyth, who claimed to be ‘truly independent’, was returned unopposed. At the chairing he scattered a large bag of silver.5 He opposed Catholic claims, to which Pakenham became a convert in 1825, much to the dismay of Longford. During the rumours of a dissolution that September it was reported to Peel, the home secretary, that the ‘Westmeath Protestant gentlemen’ were ‘outraged with Pakenham for his votes’ on the issue.6 The following month the grand jury met at Moate to condemn the ‘outrages’ that had followed the rejection of the Catholic relief bill and call on the magistrates for ‘stronger punishments’.7


At the 1826 general election Pakenham retired amidst reports, which he repudiated, that he had been ‘discarded’ by his brother and the ‘high Protestant interest’. Smyth stood again, denying allegations in the Catholic press, which pilloried him as ‘the most stupid and silly man in the county’, that he was ‘a person advocating violent political opinions’. Gustavus Rochfort, whose family had ‘long abandoned their influence’, came forward on the ‘Purple [Longford] and Orange interest’, citing his father’s services. A series of placards, allegedly produced by the Catholic Association, charged him with being ‘put forward by an intolerant and bigoted faction, who if they could, would exterminate you and every other Catholic off the face of the earth’, and denounced him and Smyth as ‘two puppets in the hands of the Orange faction’ and ‘the sworn enemies of you and your religion’. Tuite declared on the Catholic interest, stating his independence from ‘any particular line of politics’ and his belief that emancipation would restore tranquillity. He urged his supporters, who included Malone, Sir Richard Nagle of Jamestown and Longford’s uncle, Admiral Sir Thomas Pakenham, to ‘abstain from a violent and inflammatory course’. The Irish under-secretary Gregory informed Peel that the ‘Popish priests are endeavouring to detach the tenants from their Protestant landlords in Westmeath to support Tuite, but they are not expected to succeed’.8 During the ensuing contest over 100 people were wounded and two men killed in ‘scenes that would disgrace the inhabitants of New Zealand’. Smyth was proposed by Chapman, Rochfort by Richard Handcock* and Tuite, who arrived in a ‘caravan drawn by a motley crew of the sans culottes armed with bludgeons’, by Malone. On the first day it became clear that the ‘real struggle’ would be between Smyth and Tuite, whereupon Malone was ‘started as a fourth candidate by the liberal party’. (The Catholic freeholders had initially been advised to give their second votes to Smyth, on the grounds that it was ‘better to have an idiot than an Orangeman’ returned.) During the second day, at the close of which Rochfort had secured 681 votes, Smyth 577, Tuite 494 and Malone an unspecified number, the Catholic priests were reported to have been ‘very busy about the booths, threatening, persuading and noting down such as voted contrary to their wishes’, whom they advised to ‘prepare their coffins or leave the country’. For the next six days polling was repeatedly interrupted by disturbances and on the seventh a troop of cavalry was sent to disperse the rioters. One of the agents recorded ‘great complaints about locking up voters, stopping them on the roads, beating and swearing them to vote for the priests’ friends, closing booths, etc.’, and that ‘it don’t seem a gentlemanly contest’. Rochfort and Tuite were returned on the eighth day, when Smyth, who was only 24 votes behind, objected to the closure of the poll. Smyth absented himself from the declaration, leaving his kinsman Henry Smyth to denounce the ‘unconstitutional’ interference of the priests who had ‘prostituted their altars’ for Tuite, and to promise to challenge the return. Tuite denied that the contest had been ‘carried on riotously’ and praised the ‘good temper and orderly conduct’ of his supporters before dispensing silver from the chair, which Rochfort declined to do. A mob later went on the rampage, chanting ‘Come out, you bloody Orangemen’, and, ‘We have not forgotten ‘98 yet’.9 The contest was one of those later described by the Whig James Abercromby* as ‘a sort of little bloodless revolution’, in which ‘the political power of the state has passed from the landed aristocracy’ into ‘the hands of the Catholic priests, the natural enemies of the government’; the ‘alliance of gentry in favour of Lord Longford was so great that he looked with scorn on Tuite’, who ‘with the evil of the priests triumphed’.10


Smyth’s petition, alleging that his supporters had been kidnapped by mobs, threatened with ‘excommunication’ by the priests and had their ‘affidavits of registry’ unfairly rejected, and that the poll had been ‘illegally terminated early’, was presented on 22 Nov. 1826. Citing the admission of 12 Catholic freeholders with ‘estates for the life of one Peyton John Gamble, who had died three months before’, he complained of ‘gross impartiality’ in the issuing of affidavits by Jonathon Ardill, a clerk of the peace, whose nephew Thomas had been retained by Tuite. If the 50 freeholders ‘improperly allowed were taken off the pollbooks’, he contended, he would have a majority.11 The petition lapsed, 11 Dec., but one in similar terms from Smyth’s supporters, who included his kinsman Ralph Smyth of Gaybrook, William Fetherston of Carrick and Tighe, was presented, 4 Dec. 1826. Petitions complaining of an insufficient Member’s property qualification were presented against Rochfort, 27 Nov., and Tuite, 8 Dec., 1826, but lapsed, 12 Dec. 1826 and 8 Feb. 1827 respectively.12 On 14 Feb. 1827 Tuite unexpectedly announced that he would not defend his return, but Nagle, Malone and others successfully petitioned to be admitted as parties for his defence, 8 Mar. 1827. A commission of inquiry was appointed, 29 Mar., but it disintegrated the following year, whereupon a committee was appointed, 18 Apr., which ruled in Tuite’s favour, 28 Apr. 1828.13


Rochfort opposed and Tuite supported Catholic relief, against which petitions condemning the Association and the ‘undisguised interference of the priesthood’ in the late election were presented to the Commons, 12 Feb., 2 Mar. 1827. Favourable ones reached the Commons, 26 Mar. 1827, 18 Feb., 2 May 1828, and the Lords, 6 Mar. 1827.14 One against alteration of the corn laws was presented to the Lords, 11 June 1827.15 Following appeals by the Westmeath Journal, a Brunswick Club, whose vice-presidents included Gustavus Lambart of Beau Parc, Fetherston and Rochfort, a founder member of the Brunswick Constitutional Club of Ireland, was established at Tyrrellpass, 27 Oct. 1828. Longford and the Handcock were toasted at an Orange celebration at Moate, 4 Nov. That month Longford provided the duke of Wellington, the premier, with ‘a cypher’ used by the Jesuits, but added that the language employed at Catholic meetings ‘tells more ... than any cypher can indicate’.16 On 25 Nov. 1828 the Westmeath Brunswick Club held its inaugural meeting at Mullingar, attended by Longford, Fetherston, Henry Smyth and Rochfort, when a petition against Catholic claims was started.17 Tuite was a convenor for the meeting of the ‘friends of civil and religious liberty’ at the Rotunda, Dublin, 20 Jan. 1829.18 He and Rochfort took opposite sides on the Wellington ministry’s concession of emancipation, for which petitions were presented to the Commons, 17 Feb., 3, 10 Mar. 1829. Hostile ones reached the Commons, 3 Mar., and the Lords, 27 Mar.19 By the accompanying alteration of the franchise the registered electorate was reduced from 2,601 to 641, of whom 170 qualified at the new minimum freehold of £10, 125 at £20 and 346 at £50.20 Nagle was a member of the committee established for the O’Connell testimonial, 25 Mar.21 Petitions were presented to the Lords for repeal of the Irish Subletting Act, 12 Feb., and to the Commons for the introduction of an Irish poor law, 28 May.22 In November 1829 Viscount Forbes, Member for county Longford, informed Lord Anglesey, the former viceroy, that Westmeath was in a ‘disturbed’ state.23


At the 1830 general election Rochfort offered again. He was joined by Tuite, who cited his opposition to increased taxation and infringements on the ‘liberty of the press’. Smyth was spoken of but declined, and Montagu Chapman, recently of age, declared on the combined interest of his father and Longford, who were said to have formed a ‘complete coalition’ for the ‘purpose of ousting Tuite, whose triumph over them in 1826 will never be forgiven’. Nicholas Fitzsimon of Broughall Castle, King’s County, was rumoured but declined a requisition from the Catholics, who at the last minute put up Gerald Dease of Turbotston, nephew of the 8th earl of Fingall and cousin of Lord Killeen, Member for county Meath. An observer in Mullingar reported that ‘there promises to be a wicked contest here’ and that ‘the priests are already interfering in a most unconstitutional manner’.24 At the nomination Rochfort was proposed by Handcock, Tuite by Nagle and Chapman by William Dutton Pollard of Castle Pollard. At the end of the first day Rochfort had 238 votes, Chapman 223, Tuite 147, and Dease 61. Next day Tuite, noting that he had been ‘rather remiss’ in his canvass, and Dease retired. It was later claimed that ‘but for the frivolous objections’ lodged by the Catholics ‘for the purpose of delay, upwards of nearly 200 more votes would have been polled in their favour’.25 Westmeath was erroneously listed as a ‘gain’ by the Wellington ministry, which both Members helped to vote out of office. The Grey ministry’s reform bill was supported by Chapman, but opposed by Rochfort.


At the 1831 general election Rochfort, who had been reconciled to the Tories, stood firm, ‘sufficient’ party funds having been placed at his disposal.26 Chapman offered as an ‘uncompromising’ supporter of reform, over which many of his former supporters, including the anti-Tory Brunswickers, were reported to be ‘deeply divided’. Sensing an opening, a number of candidates declared and another ‘severe contest’ was expected. Tuite started but withdrew, whereupon Percy Fitzgerald Nugent of Donmore, the head of ‘a respectable Catholic family’, came forward professing support for ‘peace, economy and reform’. Smyth offered, promising to resume his previous line of conduct. Levinge, who was last spoken of in 1824, also came forward in response to a requisition from the ‘independent’ interest. The return of Rochfort was deemed certain by the Protestant press, which contended that ‘plumpers will be given to him in the event of a contest, even by the personal friends and the relations of his colleague’. In the event, however, Nugent, Levinge and Smyth agreed to retire at the nomination (the latter after some persuasion), ‘in order to prevent the county being disturbed’. Rochfort, who was reported to have ‘undergone a change’ and given a ‘sort of pledge’ for reform, and Chapman were returned unopposed.27 Rochfort continued to oppose and Chapman to support reform. Petitions reached the Lords condemning the reform bill as ‘short-sighted’ and ‘erected upon the shifting foundation of popular clamour’, 15 July 1831, and one in favour, 20 Feb. 1832.28 That month Chapman attended a county meeting to vote a petition for an Irish measure ‘as effective and comprehensive’ as the English one, which he presented, 9 Mar.29 Petitions were presented to the Commons against the Irish education plan, 26 Jan., and for the abolition of tithes, 9 Mar.30 Rochfort presented one from the magistrates and the newly appointed lord lieutenant, the marquess of Westmeath, complaining of the ‘defiance of the peasantry’ and for greater powers ‘to restrain insurgency’, 15 Mar. 1832.31 The Irish Reform Act did not add any leaseholders to the freeholders, who had increased to 1,395 (985 registered at £10, 140 at £20, and 270 at £50).32 Thereafter the Handcock and Longford interests retained ‘much weight at elections’, but ‘lost the predominance’.33Only 486 voters polled at the 1832 general election, when the Liberals Chapman and Nagle defeated the Conservatives Rochfort and Gustavus Lambart.34 The county remained a Liberal stronghold until the advent of Home Rule.

Author: Philip Salmon


·         1.PP (1829), xxii. 22.

·         2.S. Lewis, Top. Dict. of Ireland (1837), ii. 695.

·         3.HP Commons, 1790-1820, ii. 696-7.

·         4.The Times, 17 Feb.; Dublin Evening Post, 2, 9, 14 Mar. 1820.

·         5.Westmeath Jnl. 12, 26 Feb., 11 Mar. 1824.

·         6.Add. 40381, f. 209.

·         7.Westmeath Jnl. 20 Oct. 1825.

·         8.Brougham mss, Abercromby to Brougham, 12 July; The Times, 27 May, 6 June; Westmeath Jnl. 8, 15, 22 June; Dublin Evening Post, 10, 17, 22 June 1826; Add. 40334, f. 171; CJ, lxxxii. 17.

·         9.Westmeath Jnl. 29 June, 6 July; Dublin Evening Post, 27 June 1826.

·         10.Brougham mss, Abercromby to Brougham, 12 July 1826.

·         11.Westmeath Jnl. 30 Nov. 1826; CJ, lxxxii. 16-17.

·         12.CJ, lxxxii. 32, 33, 56, 107, 111, 112, 126.

·         13.Ibid. 168, 293, 429; lxxxiii. 244, 277.

·         14.Ibid. lxxxii. 154, 254, 358; lxxxiii. 78, 304; LJ, lix. 136.

·         15.LJ, lix. 395.

·         16.Wellington mss WP1/966/3.

·         17.Westmeath Jnl. 28 Aug., 25 Sept., 2, 30 Oct., 13, 27 Nov., 4 Dec. 1828.

·         18.Dublin Evening Post, 8 Jan. 1829.

·         19.CJ, lxxxiv. 42, 98, 121; LJ, lxi. 302.

·         20.PP (1830), xxix. 462-3.

·         21.Dublin Evening Post, 26 Mar. 1829.

·         22.LJ, lxi. 29; CJ, lxxxiv. 349.

·         23.PRO NI, Anglesey mss D619/32/A/3/1/239.

·         24.Dublin Evening Post, 29 July, 3, 14 Aug. 1830; NLI, Farnham mss 18602 (40), Hodson to Maxwell, 9 Aug. 1830.

·         25.Dublin Evening Post, 12, 14 Aug.; Roscommon and Leitrim Gazette, 14 Aug. 1830.

·         26.Farnham mss 18606 (1), Arbuthnot to Farnham, 4 May 1831.

·         27.Dublin Evening Post, 3, 5, 12 May; O’Connell Corresp. iv. 1800; The Times, 13 May; Roscommon and Leitrim Gazette, 7, 14 May 1831.

·         28.LJ, lxiii. 821; lxiv. 62.

·         29.CJ, lxxxvii. 177.

·         30.Ibid. 52, 177-8.

·         31.Ibid. 196.

·         32.PP (1833), xxvii. 301.

·         33.Dod’s Electoral Facts ed. H.J. Hanham, 333.

·         34.PP (1833), xxvii. 301.




List of MPs elected in the United Kingdom general election, 1885

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

21st Parliament


22nd Parliament


23rd Parliament


24th Parliament


25th Parliament


This is a list of Members of Parliament (MPs) elected to the 23rd Parliament of the United Kingdom at the 1885 general election, held over several days from 24 November 1885 to 18 December 1885.

Westmeath North

James Tuite

Irish Parliamentary